Here's some ideas:
- Movie gift cards - almost everyone likes to see movies so either a movie rental card or gift certificates for a movie theater are great ideas.
- I-tunes cards. Of course this isn't going to be great if they don't have an I-pod but if they do they'll be likely to find something they can add to their playlist on the I-tunes store.
- Coffee club card - does your admin love coffee? Then get him a card for a coffee club at a place he goes to often.
- Tickets - there's always something coming up that they will want to see - concerts or sports events are two good choices. Find out what they like first though. No sense in getting him tickets for a football game if he doesn't even know who your local team is!
- His own business cards. Administrative assistants network as well so get him something classy that he can hand out. Make him feel like an important part of your company.
- Mouse wrist support pad. Show him you care about his health on the job.
- Personalized items - mouse pads, coffee cups, money clips - almost anything can be personalized these days.
- Restaurant gift certificate - does he have a favorite restaurant or is there a new restaurant he's been talking about going to?
- Subscription to a magazine.
- Time off - what admin isn't going to appreciate that?
The most important thing when buying a gift for an admin - male or female - is to make sure that it is something thoughtful. Don't buy him a coffee gift card if he only drinks tea. If you're not sure, talk to some of his co-workers. There are sure to be some of them that would be happy to make sure you get him something that he'll appreciate.