Some days are so busy that we don’t stop to look at what we are sending by email but there are many reasons why we should be. Our emails say a lot about us and sometimes they say a lot to the right people. Now, the question is, what are our emails saying about us?
Here are some reasons why you should proofread your emails:
- Professionalism: If you want to look professional you should proofread for grammar, spelling, and tone at the very least. If you have spelling mistakes and are using improper grammar it looks as if you do not take your job seriously.
- Tone: When you communicate with writing it is easy to be misunderstood because your tone is not the way you have intended it. Read through your email as if someone else wrote it and ask yourself if it could be understood in any way other than what you intended. If it is a very important email, have someone else read it over before you send it.
- Attachments: Make sure that if you mention attachments that you have actually attached them. Attaching documents before you write your message will ensure that they get attached.
- Clarity: Read through your email to see if the wording you have chosen is clear. If you are refusing a request is that clear? Do your words imply things that are not accurate?
- Accurateness: If there are facts in your email make sure that they are accurate; double check your sources if you need to.
When you write emails people can not see the expressions on your face or hear the tone of your voice. You need to be extra careful about the words that you choose and the way you communicate your message.
Sometimes emails get forwarded to others in the company so make sure that nothing you have said can be considered offensive. Make sure that you are not giving out confidential information.
Emails can say a lot about you – what are you emails saying?