|Project Management (Photo credit: Cappellmeister)|
First of all, what are routines? According to Mirriam-Webster routines are:
1 a : a regular course of procedure b : habitual or mechanical performance of an established procedure
2 : a reiterated speech or formula
3 : a worked-out part (as of an entertainment or sports contest) that may be often repeated; especially : a theatrical number
4 : a sequence of computer instructions for performing a particular task
In the context of an admin job #1 and #3 are most often likely to apply and sometimes #4.
So, how can they be helpful in our jobs?
1. Routines eliminate the need to make decisions about what to do first. If you know that every day you are going to start your job by sorting your email and your manager’s email you can get right to work as soon as you come in. If you start your day by reviewing sales statistics you can have all the information you need handy before you leave at the end of the day.
2. Routines help you develop visible and realistic timelines for project. If a manager sends you an email about a project that is coming up and wants to know how much time is needed for your part of the project you can eliminate the time that you have already dedicated to routine tasks and decide how much time you can devote to this project and give them a better timeline for completion.
3. Routines make it easier for others to predict when you will be available. If they know that you do inventory every Wednesday, right after lunch they will be less likely to come looking for you at that time.
4. Routines decrease your need for multi-tasking. When you establish routines you know more about the time you have available and are able to fit new projects and assignments around them.
5. Routines decrease stress and anxiety. Routines make you feel more secure and help you to organize your time more efficiently. It helps you get things done. These things will decrease your job related stress.
Implement routines into your day and your week and you’ll soon find that you can enjoy your job. Your managers’ will be pleased with the efficiency at which you are working and you’ll be less likely to carry home job anxiety so you can enjoy your leisure time more.