I've heard that people are blogging as a way to promote themselves online. What exactly are they blogging about? How does that help them?
Blogging can indeed be a great way to help you get jobs! But you have to be careful what you blog about.
For example, if you are blogging as a means of helping you get a job you should not blog about:
- Bad experiences you've had on interviews.
- Employers that you have worked for in the past if you do not have something good to say.
- Your struggles with getting a job.
- Why you hate job searching
- Why the last place you interviewed with was stupid not to hire you.
So what should you blog about?
Here are some ideas:
- Blog about recent trends in your industry.
- Blog about why ethics are important to you.
- Blog about something you have learned from a mentor.
- Blog about why working on teams is important.
- Blog about your successes.
- Blog about where you get inspiration from.
- Blog about class projects that you have learned from.
- Blog about people you admire.
- Blog about the job you'd like to have
Demonstrate your value.
Become an expert in something.
If you want to start your own blog, blogger.com is an easy and free way to do it.
If you have any questions about blogging to help you get a job feel free to ask!