|goal (Photo credit: Sean MacEntee)|
- Create a vision or mission statement - knowing where you are going in life can help you keep focused. It reminds you of where you are going and what you are doing everything for.
- Shut off the television - did you know that people who watch a lot of television are more likely to suffer from depression and are less likely to be motivated? And think of all that time that gets wasted with no added value!
- Plan for fun - every weekend plan in one activity (at least) that is fun and enjoyable. This is the perfect time to spend time with family and friends.
- Go to bed earlier and get up earlier - This doesn’t actually add hours to your day but it will seem like it when you are getting things done even before you have breakfast.
- Prioritize - what are the 10 most important things for you to accomplish this year? Make a list and then copy it out 10 times and tape it or pin it in places around the house that you will notice it. In your office, on your computer screen, on the fridge, on the mirror in the bathroom; you’ll be reminded constantly of what you are striving to do.
- Put a limit on the time that you spend online - the Internet has a lot of advantages but it can be a real time sucker, too. How much time have you wasted playing games or just sitting in front of your computer bouncing around from site to site but not really getting anything done? It happens to everyone. If you have things that need to get done using the Internet you’ll be much more efficient if you know that your time is limited.
- Visualize - Focused visualization can be a great tool to reaching your goals. If you can actually imagine yourself doing something or reaching a specific goal you’ll be much more likely to actually get there. Visualize what is going to happen before you reach your goal, how you’ll deal with different situations, and all the events that will lead up to reaching your goal. Make it realistic though. Don’t visualize yourself as being 50 lbs less if that is not likely to happen. Visualize yourself as you are, doing things that you are able to actually do (flying to Balize might help you reach your goal but if it is not something you are financially able to do it won’t fit in your plan).