|Image via CrunchBase|
If any of those are true, you should have a Facebook Page. No, I'm not talking about your personal profile where you share jokes with your friends and display the pictures from your latest wild trip to Mexico. I'm talking about a Facebook Page, like many businesses have.
Because Facebook Pages show up really well in the search engines and if you name your Facebook Page with your real name and your career field, you can easily get the attention of employers when they are searching for people in your area. For example, if you live in Winnipeg and you have studied (or are still studying) to be a Software Developer you could name your page "Chris Stockwell, Winnipeg Software Developer". Or if you are willing to move to other locations you could name it "Chris Stockwell, Canadian Software Developer".
If employers search for your name when you apply for a job you want to make sure that they have something good to find. You want them to find something that YOU are in control of - like a Facebook Page. Google yourself now. What shows up? Wouldn't it be great if your professional Facebook Page showed up first and you could display your talents, skills, and experience easily? It's like an ongoing resume - but interactive.
Not sure what to do with it?
Here are some ideas:
- Share inspirational quotes
- Share your blog posts if you have a blog set up
- Share pictures of you at professional event
- Create a video and share it
- Share articles about your career field and your opinion on it
- Share news about your career field - especially new trends!
- Ask thought provoking questions
- Share links to news that is related to your industry
- Use Facebook as your Page and like other pages and comment on them