|thinking red,green and black (Photo credit: jmsmytaste)|
Sometimes, moving out and moving on is the answer. If you’re thinking about changing your career here are 6 things you can do today:
- Brainstorm – Get a piece of paper and write down your objective at the top of the page in the form of a question. Now, list out the first 20 things that come to mind. Don’t stop to think if they are right or if you could really do them or if they make sense. Just write them down. If you’re not sure if those things appeal to you, give yourself a day or two and then do it again.
- Ask your co-workers – Your co-workers are with you every day. They know what types of things get you excited. They know what you enjoy doing, even if you’re not sure yourself. They have likely observed your strengths and weaknesses, too. Write down all the answers you get and look for common threads. Think about what skills they have brought up and what jobs you could apply them to.
- Take an assessment quiz – There are loads of assessment quizzes for careers online so take one or two or three of them and see what kind of results you get. You might think, “Of course” or you might be surprised at the results.
- Ask your friends – Like co-workers they likely know a thing or two about you that you haven’t even thought of in terms of work. They may be able to zoom in on strengths that you didn’t even realize you had.
- Visit a recruiter – They are very good at matching people with the right jobs. And if they have the perfect job for you, all the better.
- Journal – Writing down your thoughts when you have a problem or questions often leads to answers. Sometimes it leads to answers that you weren’t expecting as well. Take some time to journal about work and life a couple times a week or more and then look back on it and you will likely find some surprising revelations.