While Legal Assistants and Administrative Assistants may have similar job titles and perform many of the same clerical tasks, Legal Assistants must have a foundation of legal knowledge to successfully perform within a legal office setting. This includes:
- Understanding legal terminology and being able to perform accurate legal transcription
- Understanding terminology and procedures relating to real estate and conveyancing
- Having a basic foundation of knowledge regarding the different areas of law
- Knowing how to use IPRO Eclipse, PC Law or other litigation support software
- Knowing legal office procedures such as client identification and verification rules and filing procedures
Interested in learning more about our Legal Assistant diploma program? The program is currently available in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Brandon and through our Online campus.