A Career Coach is someone who has been professionally trained to provide assistance and coaching in areas such as resume development, interview preparation, career planning and job search. If you are in the process of job hunting or wondering what your next step should be in your career, it might be helpful to meet with a Career Coach to discuss your plans.
But for those of you who are not ready to meet with someone, we asked our Career Coaches here at Robertson College if they had any tips to share! Here is what they said:
- Make a clear plan, don’t just have a vague idea – Take stock of where you are, decide where you want to be, and map out a clear step-by-step plan to get there.
- Develop your networking skills, and use your network – Make a conscious effort to develop and maintain close relationships with colleagues, and then leverage these relationships effectively.
- Ask yourself questions about your career and your goals – Create a clearer plan about what you want from your career by asking yourself specific questions about your desires and taking the time to develop good answers.
- Pretend you’re giving advice to someone else – advising yourself can be harder than giving advice to someone else, so pretend your circumstances and challenges belong to another person, and advise that person on the best course of action. Remember to follow your own advice!
- Believe in your ability to affect change in your life – Believing in yourself is half the battle. Remind yourself that you have what it takes to carry out your plan.
- Choose a friend or mentor to be accountable to – having a good friend or mentor watching your progress and asking them to help keep you accountable to your goals can be a great motivator.
No one knows what you want to get out of your life better than you do. Start by developing a clear road map for your personal success and asking for support from your network. If at any point you would like some assistance from our Career Services team, remember that as a Robertson student or alumni, you are entitled to Lifetime Career Services from the college.
Just send us a quick email through our website here and an Employment Specialist will be in touch to help you!