Yesterday I talked about Google+ and why it is a great social network for setting up a professional online networking account. I assume you’re jumping at the bit to get started right? Of course you are! Some of you may have already figure this out on your own but others might not have so here’s how you get started.
- If you don’t already have one, create a gmail email account. Remember to use a professional name like email@example.com. It is up to you what name you choose but remember that you will be using this email professionally.
- Once you have done this, log in to your gmail account.
- In the upper left hand corner on the black bar at the top of your screen you will see yourname+ - click on this and you will be taken to the beginning of the sign up process for Google+.
- The first screen will encourage you to add people. If you know people that are using Google+ this is a good time to add them. Click on Continue.
- The next screen will encourage you to find people. Type in the names of people you know that might be using Google+ or even organizations that you are interested in working for. Click on Continue again.
- Click continue on the new screen once more.
- Finally, you get to your profile section. I encourage you to spend some time working on this. You can put up something small for now or you can write your entire profile. It is up to you. But if you just do something temporary for now I encourage you to come back and fill this in completely. Click on Finish when you are ready to move forward.
And you are now in Google+! It wasn’t that hard was it?
I’m not going to ask you to do anything else today but take some time to explore and fill out that profile if you haven’t already. There’s many ways to use Google+ professionally and we’ll get there soon! Tomorrow I’m going to explain some of the important sections that you can use in Google+ for promoting yourself professionally.